The GTA is excited to announce that we are now accepting nominations for our annual awards program to recognize outstanding achievement among the Tech Leaders and STEM Educators of the Gorge. Nominations must be submitted by November 20th, 9:00 a.m. to be considered. The winners will be announced at the GTA’s Winter Party and Awards Ceremony on Dec. 12. Only complete nomination forms will be considered. Contact Jason with questions.
Tech Leader Award
Tech Leader of the Year recognizes the outstanding achievement over the last year (Oct 1, 2022 to Sept 30, 2023) on the part of an individual or company that principally provides technology products, services, or support in the Columbia River Gorge. This award will be presented to the nominated tech individual or tech company with the largest positive impact on the tech community in the Columbia River Gorge, as determined by the GTA Board of Directors.
Criteria that will be considered:
- All technology sectors are eligible, as are sectors not traditionally characterized as technological if the individual/ company has an extraordinary commitment to innovation or using technology.
- All accomplishments over the past year will be considered, such as successful new product introductions, community involvement, and impacts on industry trends.
- The individual or company should be recognized as a leader in the Columbia River Gorge and should be in a position to both accept the award and to represent the tech community in the Columbia River Gorge in a positive light for the foreseeable future.
- Individuals or companies are not required to be GTA members to be eligible.
- Companies that are nominated must derive the majority of their revenue through provision of products or services that would be considered technology-based. Service providers, even those who provide services to companies in the technology field, are not specifically eligible, unless they have an extraordinary commitment to innovation or using technology.
- Nominated individuals must work and companies must be headquartered in the five- county Columbia River Gorge or have the majority of their activities or revenue generated from activities (manufacturing, development, etc.) from within the region. A major division or business unit of a company headquartered elsewhere may apply, in which case they will be judged based upon the activities of the local division.
2022 saw no nominations for Tech Leader of the Year. Our 2021 winner was Columbia Gorge Community College’s Career and Technical Education Department, for pioneering new ways to provide our current and future workforce with the skills it needs for successful employability in industries across the Gorge. The incredible and tireless work from everyone in the department helped make the opening of the Regional Skills Center in Fall 2021 a reality. Additional Technology Leader of the Year finalists honored were: Nick Anderson from Overwatch Imaging and Mary Kramer from CGCC.
STEM Education Leader Award
STEM Education Leader of the Year recognizes an individual for outstanding achievement over the last year (Oct 1, 2022 to Sept 30, 2023) for their contributions to the advancement of STEM (science, tech, engineering, and math) education in the Columbia River Gorge. Nominations should describe (with specifics!) why the person is being nominated for such recognition. This award will be presented to the nominated individual who has made the most transformative impact through the advancement of STEM education in the Columbia River Gorge over the last year, as determined by the GTA’s Board of Directors. The winner will receive $1000 donation to their STEM program.
Criteria that will be considered:
The individual should be recognized as a leader in STEM education in the Columbia River Gorge through their/his/her involvement with some facet of STEM education in the Columbia River Gorge. The Gorge covers the five-county area of the GTA (Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Skamania and Klickitat Counties).
The individual should be in a position to accept the award and to represent the STEM education community in the Columbia River Gorge in a positive light for the foreseeable future.
Any Individual who teaches students of all ages and all forms of education (public, private, after-school, etc.) is eligible.
Our 2022 winner was Sally Anderson, Hood River Valley’s Mobile STEM K-5 Educator, who coordinated to bring the STEM Fab Bus to schools throughout the district.
Nominations must be received by 9: 00 a.m. on November 20, 2023 to be considered. The winners will be announced at the GTA’s Winter Party and Awards Ceremony on December 12. Contact Jason with questions.